Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wow, what an awful rule-set...

...for the game Black Friday (Schwarzer Freitag) by the inventor of Power Grid, Friedemann Friese.  Just sat down to try and make sense of how to play the game and I must admit that I'm quite confused.  It doesn't even seem like it should be that complicated of a game but I have already gone on the Geek to try and answer a few questions I have that are not in the rules.  Ugh.  I also just discovered I'm not the only one having these issues, as is Brian Bankler at Tao of Gaming.

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy.  But seriously, Rio Grande Games, did no one try to learn the game from the rule-set before you published it?

Having said all that, it looks like quite a bit of fun, if we ever get to play it correctly.

4 comments:

  1. Because of that I wrote some short rules to be found in BGG.

    Enjoy,
    Rucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just grabbed the short rules.... Thanks! I now feel comfortable explaining the games to friends. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad. This is a game that I had high hopes for. If it has poor rules it almost doesn't matter because it will take a beating for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Played it again last night and ran into ANOTHER issue that is not covered in the rules. It frustrated the other players. Luckily the issue was coveresd online. I don't think there are any other possible issues that could arise.

    It really is a clever, tense little game and a brilliant simulation of the stock market. Whoever trascribed the rules, though, should be fired.

    ReplyDelete